Thursday, June 5, 2008

What's on your desk?



A lot of crap, apparently. As messy as this looks (is), I actually prefer to work this way. To create, I need some sort of creative clutter surrounding me. Having paints and stamps out is inspiring to me. The piles of stamps on my desk? I am hoping to use them to submit some Christmas cards to Somerset Studio. Yes, even the employees must undergo the art selection process, which I'm glad of. I don't ever want my work to show up in a magazine simply because I work there. I want it to be up to the standards.




This is something that is on my desk that is important to me. I'm a big-time collector of quotations. Ever since I saw the movie Big Girls Don't Cry They Get Even saw that the main character, Laura, recorded quotes in a journal, I started recording some of my favorites. Somehow in the chaos of life, I threw out several of my journals that contained these precious treasures, so I've started over and made it prettier this time. Whenever I'm feeling down, or lacking the motivation to do something, I open up this book and am instantly cheered. It's really a beautiful thing. Over the course of working with my Director of Publishing, Jenny Doh, I've learned how near and dear words and quotes are to her, and because she is such a wonderful mentor and source of inspiration, it's been particularly touching to be able to share this love with her. She gets it.

1 comment:

cara lou said...

I love getting to see your pictures now! Its the best. And that journal is adorable. Did you use one of those composition books?