Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Screen Porch Summer

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

-Albert Camus


We are all searching for something. No matter how far along we are in this journey of life, there is something that we are each still looking for. Each time we finally grab it, we cross it off the list and tuck our new finding into our heart, adding yet another layer to the person we are.
What is it that I have been looking for? Words, can do it no justice, but I can try. I have been yearning for a spark--something to make me feel more alive. The work day can become monotonous, no matter how much you love your job, and it can become easy to lose track of yourself. What is it that gives you that spark? What gives you that glimmer of life in your eyes?
With summer approaching, I couldn't help but rack my brain, trying to recall my favorite summertime memories. I can't recall one single memory, but I can remember specific feelings. Clean, brightly-colored vintage sheets. Spending most of my time outdoors, making do with whatever was out there. Pretty sundresses with matching sandles.
I've always had a sort of "alter" life, much like a superhero has an alter ego. There have been times where I long for the ability to relive my childhood, with the same people but in a different location. I'm not convinced that i'm a city girl. My heart aches when I read books that take place in small towns, complete with their traditions and gossip. A lightning bug and a screen porch would make it heaven.
So, why the name "A Screen Porch Summer"? It is a feeling, an emotion, that burns deep inside of me. Though I can't spend my days frolicking through the sprinklers, I can keep the feeling of summertime inside me. It's hard to explain, but it's who I am.
With a computer with an internet connection at home, I'm back to the blogging world. And since I am back, I thought I'd start with a book recommendation. We all love books.

World of Pies by Karen Stolz made me feel that little spark. Plus, I finished it in a day. The perfect way to begin my summer reading!

1 comment:

cara lou said...

Yipee! You're back! I'm so glad--I missed you!

You are a beautiful writer. And I totally know what you mean. You put it into words better than I ever could.

Thanks for the book recommendation! I'm totally going to read it. How could I not? Pie is in the title!