Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Convenient Crafter

I have a shocker for everyone: most of my crafting is done out of convenience. I know, you're completely speechless now, right? I used to be the gal who needed the latest and greatest crafty things out there. Then reality set in. Reality, in the form of needing to eat, pay bills, buy clothes, and you know, live. I haven't really added to my supplies in quite a few months, with the exception of what I can buy through work. Hello wholesale discount! Love you! Usually I make do with what I have, and it's usually not the right thing, but I try. But then I'm also completely bewildered when said attempt does not work properly.

This is an example of making do with what I have. I, obviously, don't have a winder for my yarn. After many attempts to knit straight from the hank (Important: don't do this ... unless you like knots. Lots of them.) I realized the importance of center-pull balls. I might not have a winder, but I do have a toilet paper roll. In fact, I have many of them! So, what I did was cut a slit in the top of the roll, slide my yarn through and wrap and then wrap some more. Voila! I know have the much-needed center-pull ball. Dishcloth here I come! And yes, I do most of my work in bed. I figure as long as I don't take up pottery (which is bound to happen with my track record), I'm just fine being the bed crafter.

And I promise no more posts with that darn yellow yarn for awhile. Or at least until I finish the dishcloth, which I'm sure won't be for a year. I'm slow, but I'm convenient.

Edit: and I know my spacing is completely weird, but I can't fix it! Bleh.

2 comments:

Felicia said...

What a great manual way to wind your yarn :)

cara lou said...

I'm loving that yarn! And great idea. I just wind mine around my hand...but the center-pull never works that great. I'll have to try this next time!